Thursday, July 15, 2010

Week 1: Expectations are Funny Things

“Is PBEY3102 really necessary?” I did ask myself the question over and over again when I first registered for the course. Not that it is unimportant but the course title itself, ‘Using and Developing Resources for the ESL Classroom’ sounds familiar. It would give anyone the idea of designing teaching and learning materials. Does this ring a bell?

Back in IPGM Kampus Ilmu Khas, we were repeatedly introduced to selecting and developing materials in our previous courses. Plus, we have developed mountains of teaching aids for the workshops, the simulated teachings and the School Experience Programme (SEP). Well, why should we study this all over again?, I thought. Frankly speaking, I did not expect great things from the course.



Then, everything changed once I entered MK2 for PBEY3102 for the very first time. There was a feeling – a weird feeling. It was triggered by many things, especially the SmartBoard and the computers. I call it the feeling of not knowing. It comes with a desire to know and see a prospect of future good. To me, it is the worst feeling ever as it makes you expect great things and get your hopes up. Yes, I did have great expectations!


I must say that it was like déjà vu all over again. The computers reminded me of my computer classes when I was in school. I like technology. Not that I am an expert or a techno geek but I just love the fact that every technology has a function and every function has a benefit. For instance, I like watching YouTube videos because it is fun. Follow this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3WPKznFvfk), watch the video and tell me you do not like it.


Come to think of it, the video is an example of authentic materials that can be used for the ESL classroom. Can you imagine how less boring the classroom would be?


Other than that, there are many resources that we can exploit in order to make teaching and learning effective. I have also come across with an article entitled, Exploiting DVDs’ Extra Features: an Added Bonus in the EFL Class' (http://www.hltmag.co.uk/aug08/mart03.htm). The authors mentioned that DVDs are new effective resources in the ELT classroom because of the features such as bonus features, fast-forwarding, and etc.


When Puan Foziah mentioned about the module which involves picture, audio and video editing, I got excited. I also realized that teachers’ creativity should not only be limited to typical resources such as the text book.


Puan Foziah also told us that we have to work hard for this course and gave us a glimpse of what to come. They make us struggle for this course on purpose because they expect great things from us. Therefore, I have to adjust my expectations as well.


I expect that by the end of the course, I should be able to:

  1. Identify the criteria for developing appropriate teaching and learning materials.
  2. Design appropriate teaching and learning materials.
  3. Evaluate existing teaching and learning materials.
  4. Adapt teaching and learning materials to meet specific needs.

There are so many things that I have to learn. I believe that this is a start or a foundation for me to develop and grow. Hence, I am looking forward to learning more about using and developing resources for the ESL classroom in the next fourteen weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment